Stay up to date on the latest news related to smoke-free housing policies and second-hand smoke in Alberta and across the country.

Seniors' home evacuated due to fire caused by smoking

Apr 18, 2018

According to CTV news, The source of a fire in an Edmonton seniors' home on Monday night was smoking-related materials.  Full details about the incident are available in the news story

Seniors and others living in assisted-living facilities often have pre-existing health conditions that can be exacerbated by second-hand smoke exposure, and they are more likely to have mobility issues increasing their risk of harm in the case of a fire. Fires like the one on Monday night are truly tragic occurrences.  Developing and implementing smoke-free policies for seniors' housing isn't always easy, and is best done with a considerable amount of resident engagement.   Still, more often then not such policies are achievable and are in the best interest of all residents and staff.

All News
arrow-tothetop2to the top